I have used this simple postural exercise myself many times when my back and neck would get tired from sitting at the computer. It takes a few seconds and works wonders for keeping the back in great alignment and developing good posture.
Just following these steps:
- Sit at the edge of your chair so you feel the pressure on your sitting bones;
- Place your feet under your knees and move them slightly apart and then turn them a bit outwards;
- Roll your pelvis slightly forward so your back begins to arch;
- Push your chest forward and up;
- Rotate your hands outward so your palms face forward;
- Separate your fingers as much as possible so that your thumbs face backward a little;
- Tuck your chin in slightly
- Imagine as if there are two strings that gently pull you up from the crown of your head and from your breastbone.
- Hold this posture while you breath through your abdomen;
- Repeat this exercise 2-3 times an hour or as soon as your back gets tired.
When held correctly his position looks like this: